This is the third installment of my Pimp Your Druid series of posts. This will focus on High Priest Thekal and how to solo him for your very own Swift Zulian Tiger from Zul`Gurub. In regards to difficulty, he the easier than soloing Anzu or soloing Bloodlord Mandokir and is manageable with any level of gear.
- The only firm requirement for this is that you must be in a raid to enter Zul`Gurub. Find a free friend and create a raid.
- While you don’t have to be level 80, it definitely helps to make things easier and faster
What gear do I need?
- Personally, I wear as much stam as possible, with no buffs aside from Mark of the Wild and Thorns
- If you are worried about your gear, try entering battlegrounds to get some buffs/food first, before starting your run
Getting There/Clearing Trash
- As this is a level 60 instance, you can literally mount up and run past everything.
- Kill the packs in the immediate area of Thekal to be safe. Kill the Gurubashi Axe Throwers first as they are a pain in the ass
How to Solo High Priest Thekal
The basic mechanics of the fight are as follows. High Priest Thekal is surrounded by 4 adds to start. There are two tigers which can be killed quickly and two followers Zealot Zath and Zealot Lor’Khan. During the fight both Zealots will aid the High Priest with their own set of abilities. In order to kill the High Priest, all 3 must be killed at the same time. The abilities to note are Zath heals his allies while Lor’Khan occasionally gouges you so that you can’t interrupt Zath’s heal. To interrupt you can either do it in one of two ways, you can either tab target and hit your interrupt or you can use a macro which works as well with a bit less effort. The macro to interrupt is as follows, make sure that you do not include the <> brackets when making your macro.
/cast [target=Zealot Lor'khan] <Your Spell Here>
Slowly but steadily bring down all three targets and interrupt when you can. If you miss an interrupt or if you’ve been gouged, don’t worry it’s not the end of the world. Keep each of the 3 targets around the same percentage as close as possible. The easiest way to see their health at the same time is to turn on name plates. You can do this by hitting Alt +V at the same time. Once you get all 3 to relatively low level (I’d say 10-15% each), pop Berserk and quickly burn all 3 targets down. If you’ve done this correctly then they will all stay down and phase 2 will begin. If you happen to be low (you shouldn’t but just in case) going into phase 2, you do have time to heal yourself. Phase 2 is a complete tank and spank and there is nothing else of not to mention. Thekal will also summon two tigers (similar to the ones in phase 1) that will need to be killed.