Continuing with my series of hard mode posts, today I’d like to discuss Yogg Saron’s hard mode, One Light in the Darkness. One light naturally meaning keeping 1 keeper up out of the 4. This is not the hardest possible hardmode for Yogg Saron which is actually 0 keepers up, but for the meta achievement only YS+1 is required. However, YS+0 was recently acccomplished by Stars a China guild playing on Taiwan servers. If you’d like to read up on how they did it, the article is here up on MMO-Champion.
Yogg Saron Hard Mode – One Light in the Darkness
To successfully accomplish this achievement you need to activate Thorim while keeping Freya/Mimiron and Thorim inactive.
- Activating Thorim increases 10% damage done and 20% total HP (Fury of the Storm) and as well uses Titanic Storm to kill Immortal Guardians in Phase 3
- Keeping Freya inactive loses 10% damage and 20% healing done (Resilience of Nature) and you lose Sanity Wells to regenerate your sanity
- Keeping Hodir inactive loses 10% damage and 20% damage reduction (Fortitude of Frost) and you lose Hodir’s Protective Gaze which saves players from killing blows.
- Keeping Mimiron inactive loses 10% damage and 20% movement speed (Speed of Invention) and you lose Destabilization Matrix which slows down attack/casting speed of Crusher and Corruptors in Phase 2.
General Strategy/Kitty Tips
Essentially this fight is no different than if you were to do this fight with 4 keepers up. The different really being execution and efficiency in which you perform the fight. The only essential buff is Titanic Storm to kill Immortal Guardians. Without this, you would get overwhelmed and inevitiably wipe. You might think that Freya is necessary for sanity, but the faster you get through each phase, the less important sanity becomes.
- Burn through the brain phase as fast as possible, the more dps you can do, the more likely you can get through phase 2 in 1 transition. We weren’t able to (in 1 brain phase) but we were still to make the kill so it is possible to survive through more than one brain phase without sanity wells. Icecrown vision is ideal for a quick brain phase if you’re lucky!
- Watch your sanity! You should never get into a situation where you’d go insane pre phase 3. Once in phase 3 if you’re low and you’re dps’ing YS, switch to dps’ing Immortals (with your back facing YS). Have someone who has higher sanity to switch with you.
- Berserk as soon as you get into the brain, you want to get down to 30% as fast as possible. Your berserk may be up again in phase 3 but regardless it’s more important to get out of Phase 2 which eats a lot of your sanity.
Considering Yogg Saron is the last boss in the instance (excluding Algalon) you’d think the hard mode for this encounter would be significantly harder but really I would rank this near the difficulty of Heartbreaker. Remember, this fight is no different than YS+4, execute efficienctly and it’s a walk in the park.