For those who have been following my blog they have probably realized by now I am a pack rat that loves old content, mounts and cool items or as I call it Pimp My Druid!
I have always dreamed of getting a Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros back in the Vanilla WOW days and it’s been something I’ve been working on and off ever since TBC came out. The original purpose of going back to Molten Core was to finish off my Thorium Brotherhood and Hydraxian Waterlord rep to obtain the The Exalted title. At the time you still required a Quintessence which not everyone had which really meant that you’d have to wait around for the cooldown to end (1 hr) and with 8 waters to douse, it kind of sucked. If you had 2-3 waters it could mean waiting several hours just to summon Majordomo Executus. The best thing since sliced bread happened in 3.0.8 where the Quintessence was removed and no longer required to extinquish fire! This turned a several hour chore into a 45 min activity (which is a lot easier to convince ppl to come and help with!)
Today after 17 runs (since Achievements started as I’ve done way more than that) Eye of Sulfuras dropped! It seems like a long time (over 4 months worth of farming) but hell the drop rate is 1.9% so I guess I could consider myself fortunate in that sense. As you all know, this alone is not enough to make the legendary mace as a Sulfuron Hammer is required which is a crafted item created from Plans: Sulfuron Hammer. What do you need to make this? Well…
- Sulfuron Ingot x 9 (8 for the hammer, 1 for the recipe which requires an Exalted Thorium Brotherhood Blacksmith)
- Dark Iron Bar x 20 (8 Dark Iron x 20 Bars = 160 Dark Iron)
- Arcanite Bar x 50 (Thorim Bar x 50 & Arcane Crystal x 50)
- Essence of Fire x 25
- Blood of the Mountain x 10
- Lava Core x 10
- Fiery Core x 10
Needless to say this is not an easy undertaking and takes a lot of time to collect. However luckily all of the materials can be found from within MC and in the time that it takes you to obtain an eye you will probably already have collected enough to make the hammer. For me I made the hammer about 2 months ago as a way to encourage myself to keep trying and going every week.
Tips on how to get started?
- Do it every week, it sucks sometimes but try not to lose any timers if possible
- You only need 5 or so people to do it in 40-45 minutes, you can do it with 2 even but that would take a lot longer
- Skip as much trash as you can! There are tonnes of trash in there and you probably only need to kill 15-20 packs at most
- Hunt on the AH for ALL materials (especially the Sulfuron Ingots as those will take a long time to collect)
- Make sure you mine all the Dark Iron with your own toon or an alt, you can always clear MC and go back 30 mins later after a soft reset when all the trash will despawn
Reasons to do this/how to convince ppl to come?
- Ragnaros will be coming back in Cataclysm and who knows, MC may be removed by then
- An oppourtunity to collect Tier 1, again MC might be removed in Cataclysm
- Get exalted with Thorium Brotherhood or Hydraxian Waterlord
- It’s actually pretty decent money (if you sell the epics that drop) for 40-45 mins of time.
If anyone else out there is working on this, I encourage you all to keep trying as it will drop sooner or later. Keep at it and you’ll be a happy camper like me🙂 If there are any specific questions you’d like answered drop me a comment and I’ll try my best to help!